9.21.2010 | By: sanitymochas

Wingless

I am a firm believer that there is no possible reason why a person would get up any earlier than they absolutely must. Yet, if a character must rise before their liking, they might as well start their day off in the place that they love the most. For some this place might be their own kitchen or perhaps on their front porch rocker. In my case there is no place I'd rather be at 6:00am than in a dirty, dusty barn. I know! Unlikely choice! I'm a country girl with an absolute obsession with horses. The last four days I have been filling in for the usual barn worker (for lack of a better word). Being as I haven't worked in a barn for over a year, I had forgotten how much work taking care of a whole aisle full of hungry horses truly is! Having a dependent that you can lean on (quite literally) makes the work well worth it. One of my best friends calls it the Unwritten Dependency Plan: We feed them. They don't kill us. :) 

I love being the first one through the barn doors on a crisp fall morning. Naturally at 6:00 in the morning my senses are not nearly as adroit as they otherwise would be, say at 8:00am. The doors creaked stiffly open, resembling my own feelings and movements. I took my first uneven step into the barn and was immediately greeted with a whinny. A nicker. The lights. A muzzle. Another, and another. All in a row. Suddenly my eyes brightened and the spring in my step returned from the previous day. Ahhh... I've been missed. And then off I trotted to perform the morning chores with flare.

It has been said that horses give us the wings we lack. Apart, neither horse nor mankind can fly; neither possess the necessary qualities. But together they form a new kind of creature, one that is more courageous, determined, and willing to face the seemingly impossible. There is something magical about the feeling that encroaches on the mind and body when two such beings connect and conquer a new feat. Without horses, the human race would be grounded permanently. In my opinion that is a fate worse than death. I am determined to never join the inexperienced section of the human race that will always remain wingless.           

4 comments:

That Guy said...

AWESOME blog Sanity Mochas!!!! After reading that I am determend never to be wingless iether. Your a great writer! If you can change the mind of your readers or give them a whole new point of view on life, thats when you know your a great writer. And that is exactly what you just did to me. Thank you! I can't wait to read your next blog Sanity Mochas!

-Peanut Butter-

Anonymous said...

You are a really awesome writer! I liked the Unwritten Dependency Plan and your description of walking into the barn in the morning. Although I admit my experience with horses is very limited I admire them and also hope that I don't have to be grounded forever. Great post!

Samantha

Anonymous said...

:) There are definitely certain cases where grounding amazing people like you would be a serious tradgedy! We'll have to see what we can do to get you some wings! Maybe we'll just hype you up on a million Mocha Frapps ;)

-Jelly-

Anonymous said...

Love the blog :) hahaha the power of a feeder of horses they all love you. This power of flight is something that we are very lucky to have we should never forget what really matters about our horses, if we dont enjoy our rides then what is the point? :) very nice writting maybe I will start my own blog and we can see who can turn a verse with more skill :P
your bffl

Post a Comment