3.28.2011 | By: sanitymochas

Spring Fever

Don't you just love springtime in Illinois? All of these hot/cold weather teasers to keep us on our toes.

But I have to be honest. Springtime has never been my favorite season. I'm a fall-time kind of girl. I love the cool nights that come as a relief after the scorching summer heat, the smell of diesel as the combines and semis kick into full gear, the late night campfires, the colors of the changing leaves. It's a truly magical time of year.

Is it possible that I've never loved Spring because I've never had the opportunity to be outside and enjoy it? For the last X-amount of years, I've been stuck inside, slaving away after my studies. I do believe this is the first time in my life I have been literally forced into the elements, way before my mental alarm clock begins to ring.

Ahh.... Hormonal mares, knee-high mud, spring shots, studdy yearlings... the joys of "horsehood" in March. It's a beautiful thing.

I can handle hormonal mares. They'll soon be somewhat back to normal and bring another amazing creature into existence.

The mud proves to be an ongoing nuisance, but then again, isn't that why God invented muck-boots?

Studdy yearlings... Let's just say that they've settled dramatically since their brain surgery.

You'd think I could handle all of the glitches of springtime.

But I must say, this spring shot thing has me stumped. Mandatory vaccinations include West Nile, 5-Way, and Strangles. Done. I understand. These are real viruses that effect horses locally.

Then there is such a thing as a "preference shot." These include Rabies and the Potomac Horse Fever.

Honestly, when was the last occurrence of a horse infected with Rabies? I've been around the horse world for over 1/2 my life and have NEVER heard of such a thing. On the flip side, if my horse is the first to be infected to my knowledge, he will die. There is no cure, no treatment. D-E-A-D. That's just all there is to it.  So what to do? Take the chance that K-pony will be the first? Or take the chance that no rabid raccoons will come bounding out of the woods, determined to take a chunk out of my horse?

I'm a risk-taker, but my horse's life is one thing that I've never taken lightly. Therefore, I have always, always vaccinated for rabies. It's never been an issue for me.

Today was spring-shot-day. K-pony was injected with mandatory+rabies vaccines. Then the attending vet suggested very strongly that everyone vaccinate for the Potomac Horse Fever. But it is, after all, a preference shot. Believe it or not, this is one decision I've never before run across.

The way I understand it, the virus is transmitted by May flies laying eggs in your horse's water. I don't know if you've noticed, but Illinois is filled to the brim with May flies in May. However, the vaccine does not prevent the virus. It merely reduces the severity of the case, given your horse is even infected in the first place. The disease can be deadly, but not always. There is treatment, but it is not 100% effective. Also, there has not been many cases of Potomac reported in the area... but IT'S ON THE RISE!!!! (Isn't it always something?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't "less severe" still be deadly? And wouldn't you notice if your horse broke out in a high, high fever?  You would think so, but what a toss up!

Would you risk it with someone or something you loved?

I did. I risked it. I did not vaccinate for the Potomac Horse Fever. If I made the wrong choice, I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive myself, but I honestly don't think I did. Given the precautions that have already been implemented at my stable, I've made the mental choice to assume things will be fine, and not think about the "what-ifs" in the situation.

Whew! It's hard to imagine that a simple day in March would bring such a weighty decision.

Random side note: As you all have probably already deduced by now, I would advocate from here to the moon and back for my baby sister, who has Down Syndrome. Do you know what's more encouraging than anything else? To see another sibling of a child with disabilities sticking up for what's right and appreciating their true beauty.

Check out this incredible video.



I hope Sarah Grace and all other children with Downs will someday realize how fortunate they are to have people around them who will always be there to love them, support them, and (in Sarah Grace's case) make great music for them.

4 comments:

That Guy said...

Well your sister and your house are super lucky to have you, because just from reading your blogs I can tell that you love both of them alot.

sanitymochas said...

Yes, yes I do. She is my world.

Carey said...

Yep. It was a good post, lady. =)

sanitymochas said...

Hehe;)

Post a Comment